How To Get A Teacher Jobs With Teacher Exchange Program In USA


About Our Teacher Exchange Program To Get A Teacher Jobs In USA:

Teaching in America provides an opportunity to become a cultural ambassador who influences younger generations and paves the way for a more connected world. For nearly two decades, USA Employment has placed teachers in classrooms across the country where they can sharer their gifts and open up a world of new opportunities – both for themselves, and their students!
‍    For many of our participants, the benefits of cultural exchange continue even when they return home. The relationships and opportunities extend long after the program ends. Memories with new friends, colleagues, and students will last a lifetime.
‍     Recent events have highlighted the interconnectedness of our globalized world and the importance of cross-cultural education and diversity to solve complex problems in today’s rapidly changing environment. We are building a bridge, but our teachers are the foundation that holds it together.

The Benefits of Cultural Exchange:

Teachers with international experience have a major advantage in today’s rapidly evolving global economy. By expanding your understanding of American culture, you will gain valuable skills and a fresh perspective that promotes diverse critical thinking and problem solving skills. You will help shape the next generation in the U.S. with cultural awareness and a global mindset. When you return home, you’ll be able to apply this perspective and experience to promote cultural exchange in your own community and workplace.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Applicants must be certified and employed as a teacher in his or her home country, or country of legal residence.

  • If an applicant is not currently employed as a teacher, they must have (within the past 12 months) completed an advanced degree beyond the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s Degree (about 120 credits or 4 years of study) in either general education, or in the specific academic subject field in which they intend to teach. Applicants must have at least 2 years of full time experience teaching within the past 8 years.

  • Applicants must have at least two (2) years of full time, post-degree classroom teaching experience as a teacher in a primary or secondary school, within the past 8 years. Experience obtained prior to acquiring a Bachelor’s Degree will not be considered.

  • Applicants must agree to live and teach in the United States of America as a full time teacher of record in an accredited primary (including pre-kindergarten) or secondary school. Pre-kindergarten teachers may teach only language immersion.

  • Applicants must have a degree equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Education in the USA and a Bachelor’s Degree in the subject field in which they intend to teach.

  • Applicants must have proficient to native level English fluency – orally and in written language.

  • Applicants must meet the necessary qualifications for teaching in primary or secondary schools within their home country.

  • Applicants must satisfy all teaching eligibility standards, including any necessary certification and/or criminal background checks required in the U.S. state in which they intend to teach.

  • Applicants must be of good reputation and moral character. Your character references will assist us in determining this.

Also Read : How To Get A Teaching Certificate In USA


We pride ourselves on providing comprehensive support for our teachers from the day they apply to the day they come home. You’ll have guidance in every one of these seven steps during your application and placement process.

Screening & Selection

Your first step is to submit an application (free of charge) along with a video introduction. Our team at USAE will then review your application during our screening and selection process. We carefully consider all applications. Upon selection, all candidates will schedule a phone and/or virtual interview with our team. USAE will provide resume and interview preparation.

Credential Evaluation and Other Resources

Once you have been accepted, we will ensure all your academic documents and qualifications are evaluated properly by an U.S.-based evaluator. At this stage, we will also provide you with resources concerning the American education system and interview process. These resources will equip you for success during the rest of your teacher exchange journey.

Host School Vetting & Job Coordination

USAE will evaluate prospective schools according to how well suited they are for a teacher exchange program and what their staffing needs are. USA Employment will coordinate live phone and/or video interviews for qualified candidates with potential partner schools. We help to secure job offers and provide comprehensive information about these schools, their communities, the local cost of living, and available deductions in our program disclosure.


USA Employment will be your sponsor for the duration of your teacher exchange program. Once you have secured and accepted a job offer, we will issue you a DS 2019 form. USAE will guide you through the visa application and embassy interviews, and help you complete all documents necessary to get your J-1 visa.

Pre-Departure Orientation

During this stage, we will help prepare you for your transition to the USA. In our comprehensive pre-departure orientation, we’ll review how to comply with U.S. teaching standards and how to address your own personal needs when living overseas. You will also receive a handbook to walk you through the process and help you experience a smooth transition to the U.S.

Post Departure Orientation & Relocation

Once you’ve completed all the above steps, you will arrive in the USA with your J-1 Visa, ready for a new, life-changing experience. USAE does offer comprehensive relocation assistance to all teachers. There is an associated fee for this service to cover expenses.

Our goal is to ensure that all teachers are settled quickly and comfortably in their new environments. We provide meaningful, focused orientation sessions to help make the transition as smooth and prompt as possible for teachers and schools alike. The USAE team will receive all teachers at the port of entry and provide them with applicable relocation services along with the aforementioned post-arrival orientation sessions.

Teaching and Cultural Exchange:

Now that you’ve been oriented and prepared, you are ready to join your assigned school! USAE will remain your sponsor throughout the duration of your visitor exchange program. Our team monitors all teachers during their tenure overseas, observing their professional progress and cultural experiences, while providing support and guidance along the way. We will be by your side until you come back home, and help facilitate your return process once your exchange program has finished.

Steps To Your Journey:

Feeling uneasy about the process? We’ve got you covered every step of the way.

Apply For The Program

Once eligibility requirements are met, we will guide you through the application process, resume submission and subsequent interviews. Our step-by-step timeline explains the process in detail.

From Placement to Dream trip to USA

USAE will identify a suitable host school and obtain a job offer on your behalf after a video interview. Through our pre-departure orientation you will receive all necessary information for your transition to the U.S. as well as guidance with the visa process of issuing a certificate of eligibility form (DS2019).

VISA Sponsorship

We operate as your visa sponsor for three years which can be extended for up to 2 additional years. We also issue your family visa documents after 180 days of your arrival.

Relocation Services

USAE  offers comprehensive relocation assistance to all teachers. The objective is to ensure that all teachers are settled comfortably in their new environments. When applicable, USAE will involve local residents (ideally from the same ethnicity as the teacher) as well as representatives from the host school to assist in relocation and acclimation issues.


We provide pre-departure orientation after you accept your job offer for your new position in the USA to help you settle in with confidence and enjoy the most rewarding experience possible.

Emergency Support and dedicated client Service Coordinator

Our U.S. based team provides 24/7 emergency support services for unexpected events, health emergencies, or personal issues that may arise during your time overseas. You will also be assigned to a client service coordinator to assist you with needs you may have throughout your program.

Tax Guidance

We take the guesswork out of tax compliance by providing an overview during pre-orientation. J-1 teachers must comply with local, federal and state tax law unless specified otherwise under exemptions with country-specific tax treaties. We will provide you applicable tax information in our teacher handbook and review this material in the pre-departure orientation. USAE will also inform your host school of your tax responsibility.

Medical Coverage

J-1 teachers must maintain health insurance (includes Basic Medical Health Insurance/Accidental Insurance, Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance). This is required by law for yourself and any of your dependents on J-2 status throughout your stay in the U.S. Find more details here.

There Are Some Questions In Your Mind:

Who is the sponsor of this program?

  1. USA Employment is the sponsor of this program and is authorized to sponsor cultural-exchange teachers in the U.S. USAE is officially recognized by the U.S. Department of State as an Exchange Program Sponsor.
  2. International teachers participate in cross-cultural activities in schools and communities to enhance American students’ knowledge about foreign cultures and customs. Teachers then return home to share their increased knowledge of U.S. culture, customs and teaching advancements with students in their own country.
  3. This promotes mutual understanding between people of the U.S. and people of other countries by enriching educational and cultural exchanges.

How much money can I expect to make annually by teaching overseas?

Participating cultural exchange teachers earn their salary from their schools. Teacher salaries are established by individual schools and school districts based upon degree level and years of experience. Salaries and benefits offered to teachers will be the same as their American counterparts. Salaries will vary in different parts of the country, given the differences in cost of living and other factors, but typically range from $35,000 to $65,000 per year.

How soon after being hired will I relocate to America and begin teaching?

This will vary, depending on your host school district requirements and hire date. You may be asked to relocate immediately depending on your date of joining. Usually, teachers join their schools at the beginning of the school year (depending upon the state and school circumstances). The expected relocation time will be announced prior to or during the interview, and it will be a minimum of 14 days.

Where will I be working?

Before your interview, we will disclose the location where you will be working. USAE operates in 12 different states and will inform you which location has been selected for you prior to the interview.

When can I bring my family to the U.S. with me? Will they be permitted to work?

  1. You may bring a spouse and any number of your unmarried children under the age of 21 with you to the U.S. They will arrive on a J-2 visa. Any J2 dependent may travel to the United States after 180 days of your arrival.
  2. Your spouse can work only with an Employment Authorization document (EAD) which he obtains by applying to the Immigration & Naturalization Services (USCIS) by way of a form I-765. This can take 90 days or more to be approved.

How long is this program and can it be extended?

J-1 Cultural Exchange Visitor Teachers are allowed to teach for up to 3 academic years. An extension for up to 2 years can be requested and it can take up to 4-6 weeks for approval. Participating teachers that have an intention to stay longer should contact USA Employment at least 120 days prior to the expiration of their DS-2019. A fee is applicable for all extension requests.

What is Certificate of Eligibility DS2023?

  1. The Form DS-2019 or Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status is the formal document used in the administration of the exchange visitor program. This form permits a prospective exchange visitor to seek an interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in order to obtain a J visa to enter the United States.
  2. The Form DS-2019 identifies the exchange visitor and their designated sponsor and provides a teaching position with salary amount including the start and end date of their program. All candidates for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program must complete this Certificate of Eligibility in order to be considered for a temporary, paid teaching position in the U.S.

What is the two year home country physical presence requirement?

J-1 Exchange visitors are subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement which requires you to return to your home country for at least two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. This is also known as the foreign residence requirement under U.S. law, Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 212(e). This rule applies to J-2 dependents also. As a J-1 Exchange Visitor, United States law requires a two-year period of home residency before an individual applies for a J-1 visa again.

Will I be guaranteed employment?

All teachers’ school contracts are offered for one academic year and their renewal depends on performance. Some schools do offer three-year job offers which are renewed annually. Successful employment and renewal is the responsibility of the exchange teacher and largely dependent on your ability to meet evaluation criteria and performance reviews.

How much does it cost to live in the USA?

Living in the U.S. can mean a higher cost of living than the teacher’s home country and it is crucial to make all necessary financial preparations before your arrival. The cost of living is different in every city and state, and varies based on many factors. You can find many resources online to help compare the cost of living across different cities and states. USAE will also provide lots of tips, suggestions and best practices for living cost-efficiently in America. You can see the cost of living specific to various cities here.

Will I be able to travel during my J-1 Program?

Traveling within the United States is permitted and encouraged. Vacation dates that fall outside of school closures must be approved by employers ahead of time. Independent travel is a wonderful part of the cultural exchange experience, but must be done at your own responsibility and expense. To avoid issues, we recommend traveling safely with your passport and your valid DS-2023.

Apply For This How To Get A Teacher Jobs In USA : Click Here

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *